Injection Mold Transfer
First American has earned the reputation of being the go-to mold takeover player for when others can't get jobs done to spec. We repeatedly demonstrate cost-competitive transfers with little or no down time.
When other manufacturers are unable to successfully complete your molding job, you can utilize First American’s mold takeover program. Because of our molding and tooling experience, we’ve been able to take over the mold and produce parts equal to or beyond the customer’s specifications. We have accomplished these transfers with little or no down time, while still being cost competitive — or even offering cost savings.
Why Mold Takeovers Need to Happen
Mold takeover or transfer can become necessary for various reasons, including the following:
• A customer’s dissatisfaction with its current mold provider, whether because of quality, delivery or cost concerns.
• A need to move production/sourcing closer to the customer’s facility because of logistics or financial reasons.
• Reshoring efforts, when a customer wants to switch from offshore tooling to domestic (U.S.) production.
Advantages of Working with First American Plastic
Working with First American Plastic on your molding project means gaining the support of a company with effective internal systems controls and documentation — including ISO 9001:2008, ISIR, PPAP and other standards — as well as attention to detail and many years of plastics experience. Specific advantages include the following:
• Systems-based organization
• Project manager for each new or transfer molding project
• U.S.-based manufacturing (North Central location and South Central location)
• Convenient central locations for better logistics/costs
• Closer to end customers or closer to manufacturing (for components)
• Certified minority business enterprise
• Ongoing communication throughout molding process
• Transfer tool management capabilities honed by years of experience
• Proven tool transfer protocol
• 99.5 percent overall corporate on-time delivery record
First American Mold Takeover Success Stories
More than half of the hundreds of molds First American Plastic utilizes came as transfers. Here are a few examples of our mold takeover success stories:
• 40-Tool Package Rescue: First American Plastic rescued a 40-tool package from a defunct molder over the course of one weekend. We completed this transfer with no support from the customer or from the prior molder, and with no advance notice or safety stock available. The product was delivered on time, with no interruptions to the customer’s supply.
• Hurricane Katrina Rescue: Due to Hurricane Katrina, we moved 55 tools to our Illinois site, even with limited advance warning and significant logistics barriers caused by the storm. The product was delivered on time, with no lapse in the customer’s schedule.
• Plant Closure Transfer: First American Plastic moved 60 tools with proper advance notification of a plant closure, without missing any scheduled deliveries.
As the top injection-molding supplier available, First American Plastic is your resource for mold takeovers of all kinds. Contact us today to learn how we can help you!